Pictured L-R at BMI’s Los Angeles office are: Kim Gouveia, Program Representative UCLA Extension Entertainment Studies; Joseph Neidorf, BMI/Jerry Goldsmith Film Scoring Scholarship recipient; Doreen Ringer-Ross, BMI Vice President, Film/TV/Visual Media Relations; Erin Kaufman, Program Manager UCLA Extension Entertainment Studies.
Scholarship award: $2,500 (for use toward the cost of Film Scoring courses).
Application deadline: February 15, 2019
- Applicants must be enrolled in the Certificate in Film Scoring.
- Applicants must have completed a minimum of 12 course units from the “Required Film Scoring Courses” list by the end of the Winter 2019 quarter.
Named in honor of the late Oscar- and Emmy Award-winning film and television composer Jerry Goldsmith, the BMI/Jerry Goldsmith Film Scoring Scholarship is awarded annually to help partially underwrite study in the UCLA Extension Film Scoring program.
As one of the top film scoring programs in the world, the Film Scoring Certificate gives students opportunities to score cues for film, television, commercials, and video games, both electronically and using professional union musicians. To help composers develop the specialized skills and essential contacts needed to pursue a successful career, BMI awards one student $2,500 to be applied toward course fees in the UCLA Extension Film Scoring program.
“This scholarship is part of BMI’s overall commitment to music education and career development for new composers,” says Doreen Ringer Ross, BMI Vice President of Film & TV Relations. “Jerry was a definitive, iconic film composer, a master at his craft, and a huge mentor and supporter of young composers. BMI is proud to continue this program in his honor.”
Submissions are completed in a two-step process:
- Application Form (due 2/15/2019) – Complete the Application Form and submit it by February 15, 2019 (no late applications will be accepted).
- Score Submission (due 2/22/2019) – If the Application is found to meet the eligibility requirements (see above), we will send you an email invitation to Box, an online storage tool where you can then upload the remaining required submission documents.
Score Submission Requirements
After you have submitted your application, we will review it to ensure it meets the eligibility requirements, which may take up to two business days. If the eligibility requirements are satisfied, we will send you an email invitation to Box (see Submission Process above), where you will need to electronically submit the following three items by February 22, 2019 (no late submissions will be accepted):
- MP3 – The recorded version of your score must be submitted in MP3 format (it is up to you to decide what quality of MP3 you wish to submit). Both MIDI and live recordings are acceptable. Either 1 or 2 tracks may be submitted, but the total length of the entire submission should not exceed 5 minutes. If you choose to submit 2 tracks, they can either be from separate works or 2 excerpts from a single concert work.
- Written Score – Your corresponding written score(s) must be submitted as a PDF.
- Cover Letter/Essay – Include a cover letter/essay about yourself and your work. It should include brief biographical information, your academic and career objectives, why you feel this scholarship would be beneficial in helping you accomplish these objectives, and explain the context of the work you are submitting (e.g. What is the scene? Is it for film, TV, video game? Etc.). The cover letter/essay should not exceed 500 words.
Students are advised to submit what they think is their best work, and what demonstrates their approach to film music. Works submitted should be original compositions that have never been published before or awarded a prize in another competition.
Scholarship recipients must apply scholarship funds toward enrollment in coursework in the UCLA Extension Film Scoring Certificate within the four quarters following the award receipt. Any funds unused within the prescribed 12-month period are deemed invalid and revert back to the BMI/Jerry Goldsmith Scholarship Fund.Apply Now