UCLA Extension

International Students

F1 Visa/I-20 Students

If you are studying in the United States on an F-1 student visa, you must follow specific rules and regulations to maintain your status. The responsibility for remaining in status at all times is yours alone. Additional resources and information for international students can be found on the International Student Office website.

Students enrolled on an I-20 remember:
  • Enroll in a minimum of 12 units per quarter.
  • Students are allowed a maximum of 16 units.
  • Course units are from the X 400 level approved courses.
  • Enroll for “Credit/ Letter Grade” only.
  • A minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 must be achieved for successful completion of the certificate program.
  • A maximum of one online class is permitted per 12 units each quarter.
Internships and Vacation
  • You must consult with the International Student Office before applying for internships or vacation.
  • You may request a vacation quarter after your third quarter.
  • You must be enrolled in an Entertainment Studies certificate program and have completed approximately 50% of your required coursework to apply for an internship.
  • All internships must be approved by the academic department. Restrictions apply.

For additional information regarding our internship, click here.

You may enroll in additional “non-program” courses as long as:
  • You can still fulfill all required coursework within the terms of your I-20.
  • You do not exceed a maximum of 16 units each quarter.
  • Non-program approved courses do not apply to your certificate program units, but can meet your I-20 quarterly requirement of 12 units per quarter.

I-20 students typically are provided with up to 2 additional quarters on their I-20. This provides the opportunity to include a vacation, enroll in additional internships or study additional academic subjects in addition to the core program discipline.