UCLA Extension

Frequently Asked Questions

General Information

What kind of education does UCLA Extension offer?

With over 50 certificate programs and about 4,500 stand-alone courses, UCLA Extension offers specialized training and education that is frequently not available in graduate or undergraduate programs.

UCLA Extension presents programs in Architecture & Interior Design; Arts & Entertainment; Business, Legal, & Real Estate; Computer Science & Engineering; Education; Health Sciences; Humanities & Social Sciences; Language & English Learning; Lifestyle, Recreation, & Lifelong Learning; Sciences & Math; and Writing, Journalism, & Literature.

Who can take courses at UCLA Extension?

UCLA Extension has an open enrollment policy. A college or university degree is not required to enroll in courses. There are no restrictions on the number of courses students may take during any quarter. Students may register for individual courses without enrolling in a certificate program.

If I enroll at UCLA Extension, am I considered a UCLA student?

No. While UCLA Extension is affiliated with the main UCLA campus, please note that UCLA Extension is a separate and distinct institution. Students enrolled at Extension are therefore considered UCLA Extension Students and are in fact separate from degree students on the main UCLA campus.

Can courses taken at UCLA Extension transfer to a program on the main UCLA campus or elsewhere?

X 400 to X 499 courses are post-baccalaureate, credit bearing courses and lecture series designed in content, focus, and presentation style to the standards of instruction used in degree programs.  Credit in these courses may be transferable for advanced standing in degree programs in professional studies elsewhere, subject to the procedures of the receiving institution. Students are encouraged to contact the institution to which they are considering transferring in order to determine if X 400 to X 499 UCLA Extension courses will be eligible to transfer in their particular cases. Providing full course descriptions in addition to transcripts can help inform such decisions.

Course Information

Where are courses held?

Most courses meet on the UCLA campus or at UCLA Extension facilities in Westwood, Downtown LA, or Woodland Hills. Others are held at professional locations such as studios around the Los Angeles area. Entertainment Studies also offers convenient online courses.

When do classes take place?

UCLA Extension offers classes year-round on a 11-week quarter system. Designed to accommodate the schedules of busy adults, our courses are primarily held in the evenings and on weekends.

What is the difference between online and hybrid courses?

In addition to in-person classroom courses, UCLA Extension Entertainment Studies offers a wide selection of online and hybrid courses. Our online courses are taught entirely online using Canvas, a web-based learning management system that runs on Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, Android, or any other device with a modern web browser. Hybrid courses utilize a combination of in-person classroom meetings and fully online meetings.

Within the learning management system, students will access lectures, assignments, quizzes, discussions, and other course materials and tools. Most online sessions will take place asynchronously, so students are not required to be in front of their computers at a specific time.

Are there prerequisites to taking courses?

Some courses have prerequisites. Please refer to individual course listings for more information.

Do UCLA professors teach your courses?

The vast majority of our instructors are professionals currently working in the entertainment industry. However, some UCLA professors instruct in the program as well. Find out more about our instructors by visiting the Our Instructors page.

How should I decide which courses to take?

If you are a certificate student, you may find your certificate in the sidebar of our Certificates page. Each certificate page includes a “Program at a Glance” chart to help you plan which courses to take each quarter. Each certificate page also has a sidebar listing entry plans with a suggested order in which you should take courses depending on which quarter you started your certificate.

Our office also offers advisement and counseling for students. You may contact our customer representatives by calling us at (310)825-9064, emailing us at entertainmentstudies@uclaextension.edu, or visiting us in person at UCLA Extension Gayley Center (1145 Gayley Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90024).

I put myself on the waitlist for a class that is closed for enrollment. Will I get in to the class?

We cannot guarantee all students on the waitlist will get in to a closed class. If a space becomes available, you will receive an email giving you Permission to Enroll (PTE) in the class before a certain deadline. Instructors do not have control over the waitlist. Priority is given to students who need the course in order to graduate. To check your waitlist status, please email us at entertainmentstudies@uclaextension.edu.

Certificate Programs

Why choose a certificate over another degree?

Certificates are ideal if you want specific, practical knowledge in a particular field. They offer a focused course of study balancing theory and practice with an emphasis on real-world experience. By contrast, many graduate degrees focus on theory. Because completing a certificate program can take less time and significantly less money than a graduate degree, it’s also an ideal way to quickly improve your professional skills, gain practical training, or explore alternate careers. In addition, most of UCLA Extension’s certificate programs offer open enrollment, meaning you will not have to take preliminary standardized tests, compete for enrollment, or obtain a certain GPA for admission.

How do I enroll in a certificate program and how much does it cost?

Anyone interested in becoming a certificate student can do so by simply paying the certificate’s application fee and completing the application. UCLA Extension Entertainment Studies’ courses are “pay as you go,” with no large fees or deposits upfront. Tuition for complete certificate programs ranges from $4,000 to $16,500.

What is the certificate application & candidacy fee?

In order to be “enrolled” into a certificate program, students must first complete an application and pay the appropriate application & candidacy fee. UCLA Extension Entertainment Studies programs are open enrollment. The application & candidacy fee establishes your candidacy for a certificate for a period of time covering normal progress toward completion. The duration of normal progress varies by program but a full-time (three course) load is generally calculated for a pace of 48 units per year. For more information on certificate candidacy, visit the UCLA Extension Student Resources page.

Please note: to ensure that our programs and courses reflect the most current and relevant academic content, students are required to complete their certificate requirements within five years. Any program requirements completed more than five years before the award date of your certificate or specialization may have to be repeated even if you earned a passing grade.

Paying the application & candidacy fee provides students with several benefits. Certificate students enrolled in any Entertainment Studies certificate are invited to enroll in a free networking “class” for two free networking events each quarter, as well as free networking opportunities online throughout each quarter. Furthermore, Entertainment Studies certificate students are eligible for certain student discounts. All certificate students are also eligible for BruinCard guest identification cards for a $10 fee, which allows students to receive discounts on TAP cards for L.A. Metro buses or Flash Passes valid on the Santa Monica Blue Bus and Culver City lines, and to use UCLA Campus recreation facilities for $50/quarter. For more information on the BruinCard, visit BruinCard FAQ.

How long does it take to complete a certificate program?

Students complete their studies at their own pace and can enroll in as many or as few courses as meet their needs. Those who wish to pursue certificate programs can complete their studies in as little as 9 months or take up to 3 years. To ensure that our programs and courses reflect the most current and relevant academic content, students are required to complete their certificate requirements within five years. Any program requirements completed more than five years before the award date of your certificate or specialization may have to be repeated even if you earned a passing grade. In addition, specific time limitations apply to F-1 visa students.

I've taken similar courses elsewhere; can they apply toward my certificate?

An equivalent course taken at another college, university, or educational institution may be used to “waive” a required course, subject to review and approval. In general, a maximum of 2 requirements may be waived in any Entertainment Studies certificate program. Petitions for course waivers must be made within the first quarter of the certificate program and must be substituted with an approved elective course to meet the minimum unit requirement. Students who are interested in petitioning to waive a course requirement should email us at entertainmentstudies@uclaextension.edu.

Can I take courses towards my certificate program on a passed/not passed status?

No. All courses taken for a certificate program must be taken for a letter grade; a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 must be achieved for successful completion of the certificate program.

Can I switch certificate programs if I change my mind?

No. Certificate application fees are not transferable or refundable.

Student Resources

Is financial aid available?

For information regarding various financial aid options, visit the UCLA Extension Financial Aid page.

Are there networking opportunities or events for Entertainment Studies students?

UCLA Extension Entertainment Studies offers a free networking “class” each quarter open to certificate students within our program. Enrolling in this free “class” gives students access to the quarterly Networking Event, Pitch Night, and online networking via Canvas. Click here for more information and to enroll for free networking opportunities.

In addition to our quarterly networking events, UCLA Extension Entertainment Studies also organizes an annual film festival called UCLAxFilmFest designed to showcase our students’ best work. For more information on UCLAxFilmFest and how to submit your film, please visit our UCLAxFilmFest page.

Can I get a verification letter to receive student discounts and permits for my short film?

Students who are enrolled in courses that require a short film to be produced are eligible to receive a student film production letter. For more information, visit the Student Productions page.

Can I get access to filming equipment or classroom locations for use on my short film?

UCLA Extension does not provide equipment for use or rent. UCLA Extension also does not have any available space for auditions, edit bays, or production locations.

For a list of discounts available to our students, visit our Student Benefits in “Hollywood” page.

Does UCLA Extension offer internships in the entertainment industry?

The Entertainment Studies Internship Program is available to students currently enrolled in an Entertainment Studies certificate program who have completed 50% of their required coursework. An exception can be made for those students who have successfully completed 12 units toward their certificate. For more information on our internship program, please visit our Internships page.

Where can I go for career counseling?

UCLA Extension Career Center offers career advising by appointment only

Am I eligible for student tickets to UCLA athletic events and other privileges that UCLA degree students receive?

No. Degree students enrolled at UCLA are charged quarterly fees that fund an array of special services and privileges that support the full-time undergraduate student experience. Extension’s certificate students are not charged the mandatory registration fee that funds these activities. However, UCLA Extension certificate students are eligible to receive a BruinCard and take advantage of a variety of other benefits. For more information on student benefits, visit our Student Benefits at UCLA Extension page.

International Students

Are course fees higher for out-of-state U.S. residents or for international students?

No. Course fees and certificate application fees are the same for all students. Please note: Additional administrative (non-course) fees do apply to F-1 visa students.

When can I take a vacation quarter?

International students can take a vacation quarter after completing any three consecutive quarters of full-time study at UCLA Extension. For eligibility rules, visit the International Student Office’s website.

What is Optional Practical Training (OPT)?

OPT allows international students to work in the United States and earn money in an occupation directly related to your area of study for one year following certificate completion. For more information on how to apply for OPT, visit the International Student Office’s website.

What is Curricular Practical Training (CPT)?

CPT allows international students the opportunity to participate in paid internships as part of their certificate program. Paid internships/CPT can be either part-time (20 hours per week or less) or full-time (between 21-40 hours per week). Students must complete nine months of full-time study before becoming eligible for CPT. For more information on how to apply for CPT, visit the International Student Office’s website.

What is the difference between an internship, CPT, and OPT?

Internships can be either paid or unpaid and are available to students currently enrolled in an Entertainment Studies certificate program who have completed approximately 50% of their required coursework. Curricular Practical Training (CPT) are paid internships that occur during a certificate program and are available to international students who have completed at least nine months of full-time study. Optional Practical Training (OPT) allows international students to work in the United States and earn money in an occupation directly related to your area of study for one year following certificate completion.

Contact Us

Where can I get more information about the Entertainment Studies program?

For more information, contact the Entertainment Studies office by emailing us at entertainmentstudies@uclaextension.edu or by calling (310) 825-9064.